Monday, February 1, 2010

Sidetrack: The Grammys



To all the critics, SHE KNEW EXACTLY WHAT SHE WAS DOING. She didn't pick this outfit out to blend in. Even if she tried to blend in, she'd skewer the person next to her. My question is how did she get TO the Grammys without making herself a shishkabob. There is no way she could have sat down in that thing. And might I point out the shoes. That takes some talent to walk in those things. I would fall flat on my face and skewer myself in the process. I am not generally a Lady Gaga fan, it is true, and I do not like this outfit as an outfit, but I do like that she has the guts to wear it. However, flash and smoke and mirrors gets old after awhile, Gaga. Keep that in mind.


Moving on. Did you see Pink's performance? Breathtaking. I've always loved her voice. It's lovely, yet rough, which, in my opinion, is a magical combination. The costume was a bit on the sketchy side, but I understood why they put her in it. The hours of rehearsals she must have gone through, and the CONDITIONING to strengthen herself enough to do that and sing at the same time. And it was so emotional and raw. I loved it. I was going to post the link to the video here, but due to copyrights etc, all I can do is encourage you to do some research for yourself. :D

Beyonce. Her performance blew me out of the water too, vocally. However, visually, it was a little lacking. I kind of hoped that the soldier-dudes would start dancing more or actually turn out to be females (since she was singing "If I Were a Boy."- which, by the way, is A LOT like a song by Ciara from a couple of years ago...). But Beyonce's voice is so strong, she doesn't need a lot of smoke and mirrors and knows it, I think. But if you're going to do a Grammys performance, either go all out or just stick with the bare minimum, no in-betweens.

Taylor Swift: sounds a lot older when her voice has been edited. And although I love the song "You Belong With Me" and generally like her as an artist (so talented and driven at such a young age), but the version she and Stevie Nicks sang made me think of gingham-clad bobble-heads. But kudos to her for winning her awards.

And can I just bask in happiness here for a minute?
...

Bon Jovi. How I love them. Livin' on a Prayer made me oh-so-happy. My classic rock side is now content.

Congratulations to all the winners!

I now quote a former teacher: "Thoughts? Feelings? Angry words?"

2 comments: