Sunday, February 20, 2011

Three Cheers for Tiramisu!!!

Today I made tiramisu (Task 27). Confession: I was a little concerned about eating it because it has raw eggs in it that go uncooked. I found some "kid-friendly" recipes that called for cooked or tempered eggs, but I wanted to make the real deal. And I am soooo glad I did! I ended up combining three recipes. The first was given to me by a friend from the Czech Republic (Thanks, K!). It's a true Italian recipe and was in grams and other such metric units, which is why I looked at a few other recipes as well. The second recipe was from Giada DeLaurentis from Food Network. The third is a recipe (Ristorante Piatti Tiramisu) from a website, "Tiramisu: Heaven in Your Mouth."

The recipe ended up being something like this:
6 organic egg yolks
3 egg whites (2 of which were organic... don't ask)
1/2 cup sugar
approximately 2 cups strong coffee
2-ish tbsp rum
8 oz. marscapone cheese
2 packages of lady fingers
Some unsweetened cocoa
Bittersweet chocolate, finely grated


1. Beat egg yolks, sugar, 1 tbsp and some rum until thick and pale yellow (about 3 minutes).


2. Beat in marscapone until smooth.

3. In another bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of sugar until stiff peaks form (basically like merengue). Gently fold egg whites into marscapone mixture.

4. Put remaining rum (or more rum if you ran out earlier) into remaining coffee, pour into shallow dish. Dip one side of each ladyfinger in coffee mixture for 1-3 seconds (depending on consistency/thickness). I actually ran out of ladyfingers, so had to halt the process and fly to the store to buy some more. The first pack was very sponge-like, while the second pack was more solid until dipped in the coffee. But just make sure you don't soak them too long or they will fall apart. Line ladyfingers in a dish (I think I used an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.)


5. Spoon half of marscapone mixture on top of ladyfingers. (One recipe suggested sprinkling cocoa onto marscapone layer before repeating the layering process, but I did not do this.)


6. Add one more layer of ladyfingers and marscapone mixture, then sprinkle cocoa and/or shredded chocolate on top.


7. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

8. Enjoy!


I must admit, this tiramisu was GOOD! I totally recommend that you try it! Have you ever made it before? Or eaten it before? Does the fact that is has raw eggs in it bother/scare you?

2 comments:

  1. Whenever I bring up the fact that I've never really been discouraged from eating raw cookie dough or brownie batter, my mom says, "hey, I've been eating raw eggs all my life, and I've yet to have any negative side effects."

    So no, it doesn't really concern me. :-) We should hang out and make tiramisu when you're in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I MISS YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! You have to come to NC because we have really good grocery shopping (whole foods, fresh market, trader joes, world market, harris teeter, Farmer's markets galore) and I'll have a new stove soon to cook everything else on your list. K? k.

    ReplyDelete