Tuesday, December 28, 2010

We'll drink a cup of kindness yet for auld lang syne.

The year is almost over. Where did it go? I've come to realize that the older I get, the faster time flies. Many friends have expressed the same realization. This year has been full of new experiences, both due to my to do list and completely separate from it. I feel like this was the year I grew up. To be completely honest, growing up scares me, but I have come to think of it almost like a task on my to do list. It's not a task of necessity as much as it is a task of new experience.

Speaking of my to do list, I successfully completed 33 of the 52 tasks. I partially completed about 8 tasks, which brings the total to 41. Not too shabby, if I may say so myself. The goal of this list was originally to try to accomplish all 52 tasks, but I began to realize that the attempt was more important to me than the actual completion. I can at least say I tried to yodel and I tried to touch all the bordering salt-based bodies of water along the continental US (I touched 2 out of 3-The Pacific was a little far away...).

Some tasks were simple, like eating a rutabaga or going on a road trip. And yet some tasks brought about great anxiety. Singing at a karaoke bar literally caused a stress response equivalent to undergoing major surgery. I learned a lot of new things, such as what it was like for someone to grow up in Ghana (#9), how to offend a celebrity (#6), and that smiling at a stranger is not as scary as it seems (#13).


It is officially 3 1/2 days until 2011, so I am trying to figure out my goal/to-do list for next year. Should I keep the same format, just with different tasks? Or should I try something different, such as blogging about something unexpected that happens to me each week? Thoughts? Comments? Angry words?

No comments:

Post a Comment